Seven years after the serious terrorist attack in Ankara, the police used violence against participants in a commemoration. All access roads and side streets around the main train station, the site of the massacre, were cordoned off by police barriers and many people were assaulted. Security forces prevented protesters and members of the media from gathering for the commemoration on Monday. Only parents and some parliamentarians and representatives of important institutions such as the Medical Association (TTB) were allowed to attend. Around 20 people protesting against the police action were arrested without giving any reason.
On October 10, 2015, two suicide bombers from an Islamic State terrorist cell known to the police blew themselves up outside the train station in the Turkish capital amid a peace rally organized by the HDP (People’s Democratic Party). ) with the trade union federation KESK and other democratic left organizations against the war of the Turkish state against the Kurdish population. More than a hundred people died and more than 500 others were injured, some seriously. To date, the attack has claimed the lives of 104 people involved in the peace initiative.
“MURDERER ISIS, COLLABORATOR AKP”
At 10:04 a.m., the time of the attack, a minute’s silence was observed for the victims in front of Ankara station, despite police disturbances. Many of those present carried placards with photos of their slain relatives and signs reading “We don’t forget, we don’t forgive”, “ISIS murderer, AKP collaborator” and “The time will come when the murderers will answer the people”. . Mehtap Sakinci Coşgun, who lost her husband in the attack seven years ago and later founded the “October 10 Peace and Solidarity Association” with other bereaved families, was the first to deliver a speech .
“OUR GRIEVANCE IS NOW RECOGNIZED”
“Every year on October 10, we gather here to demand respect for our suffering and pain. But sadly, time and time again, we find that our grief goes unacknowledged and people who want to remember their relatives are attacked. We do not want to be isolated from our friends who want to mourn with us. We want to commemorate together, without the police beating the mourners. Regarding the trial surrounding the attack, Coşgun said criticized that the victims still do not have peace of mind, as victims and surviving relatives have not received justice or fairness to date.So far, only nine people have been convicted in connection with the The attack, which allegedly initiated the preparations for the massacre.The forces within the state which, according to research by a group of lawyers, were involved in the attack have not been charged. Relatives of the victims accuse the Turkish government of not wanting to clarify the exact circumstances of the crime because of its own guilt.
CHARGE: STATE CONTRACT MURDER
The suicide bombing in Ankara was the worst terrorist attack in Turkish history. This took place at a time when President Tayyip Erdoğan was building his one-man regime. On October 30, 2014, the National Security Council approved the plan to crush the Kurdish liberation movement. The result of the June 2015 parliamentary elections initially thwarted Erdoğan’s plans and undermined his state doctrine. After 13 years of single reign, the AKP lost its absolute majority, thanks to the entry of the HDP into Parliament with more than 13% of the votes and 80 deputies. “It was a crushing defeat,” KESK co-chairman Şükran Kablan Yeşil said at the commemoration ceremony, recalling the political phase of 2015. Just two days before the elections, there was an attack on the last rally of HDP campaign. in Amed (tr. Diyarbakir), killing five people. One of the massacres that followed was the Suruç attack on July 20, 2015, in which 33 young people were killed by a suicide bomber. The Islamic State cell monitored by the security authorities, which also carried out the Ankara attack, is responsible for both attacks.
“THE FIGHT FOR JUSTICE CONTINUES EVERYWHERE”
“These were attacks by barbaric forces in this country, which were specifically directed against circles that resist the democratization of Turkey. Those responsible for the massacre in Ankara are not only those who have remained silent in the face of dark times, those who helped plan the attacks, those who are still on the run or in prison because of their complicity, but also those who are part of the political elite.Our fight for justice will only end when all those responsible will have been brought to justice. This is especially true for those who, then as now, believe themselves under the protection of the rulers,” Şükran Kablan Yeşil said.
Subsequently, other people had their say, including DISK leader Arzu Çerkezoğlu, TMMOB chairman Emin Koramaz, TTB general secretary Vedat Bulut and several relatives of the victims. Among them was Zöhre Tedik, mother of activist Korkmaz Tedik. She condemned the fact that only relatives were allowed by the police to attend the commemoration. “The fight for justice continues everywhere, until our last drop of blood,” said the Kurdish woman from Malatya. At the end, red carnations were placed in the square in front of the station as a sign of remembrance.